Thursday, May 3, 2007

Grapes or Pumpkins?

One of the biggest things I've had to learn that I am still learning, is that people are all different, & because they are different, they do things different ways, & the things that work for one person won't work for another. That may seem obvious to you, but let's analyze it a little more (because that's the kind of person I am!)
Some people are like grapes -- I am one of them. Grapes grow on vines, but they need to be hung up & given structure or they won't grow. For me, without structure I couldn't function. It seems everyone in my immediate family is like that, so for a long time I was under the assumption that everybody is like that. But my wife, Angie, has taught me that not everyone can work that way -- some people work better without structure! Angie & I were talking about this last night, & we came to the conclusion that some people are like pumpkins. Pumpkins also grow on vines, but if you hung them up like grapes, they couldn't grow! They need to be left alone to grow along the ground -- & they bear fruit!
God has created you to be the way He wants you to be, & if you have accepted His Son Jesus as your Savior, you are indwelt with the Holy Spirit, & you will bear the fruit of the Spirit; but different Christians bear the same fruit in different ways.

2 comments:

Rusty said...

Long live the Grapes! As is the case with David, I happen to be a Grape. But as much as I appreciate order in my life, existence on this mortal coil called earth would not be as rewarding if the Great Creator had not set the Pumpkins around me. The reality of these differences does add a rung of meaning to Philippians 2:3.

kiralei "avenue" said...

Who would have thunk it? (pardon my grammer) Differences, varience, variety..."aren't we all supposed to be completely alike...happy...never let anything bother you" a Christian friend once asked me. HA. Do you remember when you were discipling a Pumpkin while remembering when you, the Grape, was discipled. What a learning experience!