Sunday, December 26, 2010

Tolerance

In my studies to become a librarian I was made aware of many secular issues that I was not exposed to before. Without losing my biblical worldview, I think it was beneficial for me to be able to see things from a more worldly perspective. I'll never be able to reach anyone from the world if I do not respect them as people, and that includes respecting their worldviews, even if I do not agree with them--and I must know why I don't agree with them!

The Bible is my authority, not necessarily everything I've always been taught. It is important for me to think about and understand whether what I've always been taught is true, and to be able to defend it if it is true.

I learned a new acronym as I was studying library science: GLBT (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender). One argument that comes up between conservatives and liberals regarding these people is whether it is a personal choice or if they are born that way. First of all, Scripture clearly teaches that this lifestyle is unacceptable and sinful (read Romans 1:24-32 and Leviticus 18:22-23).

Coming from a conservative Christian mindset myself, I was always of the understanding that since it is sinful, it must be a choice--no one could be just born that way. However, I believe there is some objective evidence to support that individuals who live the GLBT lifestyle often have something physically different about them.

I would like to propose that the important question is not, "Is this lifestyle a choice ,or does it come naturally?"
Rather, a better question would be, "If a person is born that way, is it a sin?" The truth is, every human is born a sinner, with a sin nature or a bent toward sin. Therefore, just because a person is born with a leaning toward homosexuality does not make it acceptable to live that way. (Click here for several passages on the human sin nature.) Jesus Christ died on the Cross and rose again to pay for all sin, including homosexuality, and if you trust Him alone for your salvation, His Holy Spirit will enable you to overcome any sin.

It is also important to remember that all sin is equal before God, who is Holy. Yes, homosexuality is sin because the Bible says so, but it is not any more or less a sin than heterosexual relations outside of marriage, lusting, or telling a lie. No matter who you are, you are just as bad as everyone else, because all have sinned.

No comments: