Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Difference Words Make

I was just reading a little bit of my sister Emily's blog, & I recognized that she is a better writer that I am! I guess "better writer" is always a matter of opinion ("like you can even know that..."), & God gives us each different personalities & ways we do things so we can glorify Him in different ways. In any case, read Emily's stuff (see the link to the left); the way she writes really impacts you. Being "all grown up" we've gone our separate ways (although Michael, Lisa, & Emily are all at the same place...), my little sister has grown up so much! My other little sister is a mommy now - I feel so old!
Sorry for the digression... Emily words things in such a poetic fassion (hey, that almost rhymes!), & I don't so much. I love writing, but I tend to be more concerned with the information presented & using correct grammar than I am about what it sounds like. Some people try harder to make it sound good, & for others it just comes naturally. I can recognize artful wording, though, even if it's not really my style - although I do have a thing for alliterations from time to time.
Another anecdote: I was listening to someone express how helpful it can be to keep journals, & I've kept journals in the past & it meant a lot to me at those times, but it doesn't happen continuously. I like blogging because I can journal my thoughts, & share them with whomever wants to take the time to read them.

1 comment:

Emily said...

thanks :)
just so you know... my "artsy words" don't usually come naturally. I kind of think of poetry like a puzzle... you have to find just the right word to fit in just the right spot, and sometimes you have to reshape your words or patterns to make everything seem to fit together. I really like reading your blog too... although you don't update it very often!
i think the main reason I like blogging is because God just teaches me so much and I want to be able to share it with people! but I often wonder if anyone even reads it... and it's encouraging to hear that you do :)