Friday, October 12, 2007

Analogy Explained

One of my favorite $5 DVDs is Muppets Take Manhattan. My favorite part of the movie is when the Russian owner of a NYC cafe gives advice to Kermit. He begins with, "Peoples is peoples..." & continues to use a bunch of metaphors that don't make any sense to Kermit. Kermit replies, with the confused expression only a frog puppet can make, "Thanks... That helps a lot." If you think about what the man said & use your imagination as to what the metaphors might have meant, though, you might actually make some sense of it.
I sometimes adapt this monologue to say, "Peoples is peoples. Is tomatoes, is pumpkins, is sea turtles, heh? Peoples is peoples." Here is what I mean: When people do things that don't make any sense to you, remember something I've heard Chip Ingram say, "Everybody does what makes sense to them." People are all different! This is where my analogy comes in (if you've read my previous blog "Grapes & Pumpkins", this is along those same lines). Some people are like tomatoes, in that they need structure to bear fruit. Some people are like pumpkins, because they will grow better if you leave them alone. The "sea turtles" fit more into the big picture. "Let me tell you what is:" hundreds of sea turtle eggs are laid on the beach every year. When they hatch, though, most of the cute little baby turtles get eaten by birds & lizards, what have you... but the ones that make it to the ocean can live over a hundred years! I'll just let you think about that one...
Let people be themselves; people are different, so don't be afraid when people don't do things the way you would do them.

No comments: