Friday, February 2, 2007

Just had a thought...

I was just thinking about who God uses & how He uses them. In the beginning of the church, none of the church planters had set out to be church planters, because the church was brand-new. Peter (among others) was first a fisherman, & Jesus called him to give it up & follow Him; this was the general pattern with the 12 disciples. Paul, on the other hand, made tents, & it is said in Acts that even as a traveling church planter he still made tents; that is, in fact, how he made some of his contacts. In the same way Luke, as a doctor, traveled with Paul & others, but I'm under the impression he was still a doctor ("doctor" or "physician" may have been different back then from how it's considered today, but that's beside the point).
Today God has blessed us with many preachers & missionaries, many of whom did other things first, & many of whom went straight into vocational ministry. My dad, for example, was a computer programmer who gave up being a computer programmer to go into the ministry. Just as much, though, God uses people who have various occupations-- who also know His Word-- to serve Him in the local church as lay people. Any kind of ministry that is effective is completely by the grace of God, & He can use anyone, & He will put the people who follow His will whom He has chosen where they need to be, doing what they need to be doing, to bear fruit for Him. Today I am an office assistant in a Legal Office in Columbus, Ohio. Maybe God wants me to do something else someday, or maybe He wants me to stay here, but in either case I know He will use me. If you know Jesus as your Savior, & are studying God's Word as your authority, & are willing to do what God wants you to do, God will use you no matter how pointless you feel your occupation is!

1 comment:

Dave said...

Dunk!
I thought I would leave a comment. I hope things are going well. I have no doubt that what you are doing is the right thing, and I think what you are doing is of value. You shouldn't feel that your job is pointless either. Why? because you are human, and that means you are image of God. God has placed humans on the earth to make known his glory. As humans we are called to rule the earth and that means that we need to develop culture, which means that all jobs are of value. There is no secular/sacred divide. If you are a Christian then you are part of the renewed humanity, and that means that being a Christian is being a good human being. Not in the sense the way the world would say you are a good person, but in the origonal sense of being human the way God intended.
Paul encouraged Christians this way:
Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.
That doesn't sound too Christian in the traditional sense, but that is what Paul told those in Thessalonica to do.
I know you were probably thinking along these lines, but I thought I would put my two cents and Paul's three cents in as well.

Oh, come over to my blog, and comment, I have never gotten a comment, so even if you disagree: God bless you.